Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

More about "Off the Trodden"....

 
Fall is upon us!  I could literally sing!  The weather has cooled down and there is not a 90 or 100 degree day in sight on the long term forecast.  This glorious weather put me in the perfect mood to finish up the 2nd in my "Five Pumpkin" series, a small quilt, which would actually be quite lovely as a bed rug in the guest bedroom or as a wall hanging.

Lots of folks have been asking about the name.  Why "Off the Trodden Trail"?  When I first started thinking about changing the direction and focus of my blog, I kept hearing a phrase over and over in my head...."off the beaten path."  I  knew why I was hearing the phrase.  It seems as though most everything I do is quite literally "off the beaten path."  I don't seem to take the road more traveled - ever - and that's not always because I get lost a lot!  I left a great, money making, corporate job almost 13 years ago to stay home with my children.  I love to do things that few gals my age even consider....I rug hook, sew and quilt.  And, I've been doing these things for as long as I can remember.  In college, when friends were out partying on a Saturday night, my roommate and I (you know who you are, dear friend) were doing cross stitch and watching Saturday Night Live! 


I sit at soccer and baseball games and I knit, crochet or stitch.  I can't barely watch a TV show without something in my hands, a rug hook, a needle, a piece of fabric. 

My family is off the beaten path too.  My son plays the piano, trumpet, bass guitar and just lately, is learning to play the ukulele.  He loves sports too, but if he had to choose, he'd play the piano rather than basketball.  On the other hand, my youngest daughter would rather play sports than do just about anything (except maybe ride horses, but then, that's a sport too).  She's musical as well, but sports definitely come first in her mind.  My eldest stayed home with me over Christmas break from college to knit and craft, rather than do what the rest of her 20-something friends were doing - partying.  My husband loves to grocery shop.  He's the coupon cutting, price matching, phenom of our family.  We've flown the Nebraska flag in every State we've ever lived, including Colorado (we weren't the popular family on that block), Texas and Indiana. 

I was raised Catholic (12 years of Catholic school, baby!); my husband, Lutheran.  We attend probably the most unique Lutheran church in all of Omaha, maybe even the State of Nebraska.  People regularly tell me that my sweet husband should have converted.....the wife isn't "suppose" to convert.  Well, again, not walking that beaten path.


I could go on and on about all the ways in which I am off the beaten and even more ways in which my family is off the beaten, but the bottom line here is that "off the beaten path" was not available as a blog name or an etsy shop name.  Seems a travel agency had that title secured long ago!  So, I used my  handy-dandy on-line thesaurus and looked up synonyms for beaten....right off the bat, trodden popped up.  That seemed to work and I liked it because it's a word we don't often hear.  Next, I looked for words similar to path and of course, trail came up.  Trodden Trail....I liked it immediately and thus was born...."Off the Trodden Trail."

So now you know!

I like to pop open the Bible and look for a verse that jumps out at me in the mornings, when I am doing my daily prayer and meditation.  Some days, it's as if that verse was MEANT for me.  Some days, not so much.  Today's verse, comes from the Book of Psalms:

                  This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
                                                ~ Psalm 118:24

I plan to, hope you can too!

Until next time,
Kathleen








1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful piece!! And know that we love you all the more because you choose to venture "off the beaten Path/trodden trail"!

    ReplyDelete