Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

Catching up on Grateful....Days 10-15


First off, none of the photos in this posting are my own.  They are all gorgeous pictures from the Internet, because despite our adventures of last week, it never once occurred to me to take a photo. 

So, we had a bit of a snowstorm in Nebraska.  We got maybe 7 or 8 inches of snow, but before the snow fell, we had rain, sleet, rain and snow mixed and then 45 mile an hour winds.  These conditions caused power lines to ice up with 2" diameter ice coverings.  As the winds blew, power lines began snapping.  We lost power a little after 10:30 pm on Wednesday night and it didn't come back on until 1:24 a.m. on Saturday morning.  No power means no Internet, so of course I couldn't post Grateful, but I surely was thinking grateful thoughts, or at times, trying my best to think grateful thoughts. 


Day 10:  Children who look at rough spots in life as an adventure.

My children spent the first day of no power playing board games, quizzing each other for finals which were slightly delayed, foraging for kindle for the fireplace, giggling, laughing, crafting, wrestling and generally having a ball.  I complained of being cold.  I complained about the lack of light.  I was uncomfortable and generally miserable, but my children were troopers.


Day 11:  A husband who was willing to drive back and forth from work with terrible road conditions to bring us food, light the fire, check up on us and then take us out for a delicious dinner.



Day 12:  Friends and strangers who care.  By the end of day two, we had more offers of dinner, homes to stay in and help with the pets, from both dear friends and complete strangers, than we knew what to do with.



Day 13:  Prayer.  During hour 49-50, I lay in bed, layered in clothing and blankets and prayed.  My prayer became a mantra...."please, please, please, let the power come on."  I prayed that prayer for exactly 33 minutes before I heard the teeniest click of my alarm clock and knew the power was finally on. 


Day 15:  Perspective.  I won't minimize how incredibly difficult it felt to me to be without power.  I won't say I didn't whine, cuss, complain, cry.  I won't pretend I was the model of faith and stoicism to my children the entire time.  But I will say that I was able to keep my grumpiness and complaining to a minimum, each and every time it occurred to me that there were 20 sets of parents in Connecticut who would have gladly traded places with me last week.  It really is all a matter of perspective. 

Merry Christmas Eve.  I hope your day is filled with blessings and lots of gratitude,
Kathleen

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas Eve, Kathleen! I'm sorry you were without power! I should have thought to check in on you!

    ReplyDelete