Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Gratitude ~ Day 2

 

Gratitude, thankfulness, gratefulness, or appreciation is a feeling or attitude in acknowledgment of a benefit that one has received or will receive.



Keep in mind, I am looking for the unusual and unique for which to be grateful.  If I think of gratitude in terms of the above definition, I have to acknowledge a benefit that I will be receiving.  I don't think we always receive benefit from that thing for which we are grateful.  Rather, I believe the benefit comes from the mere fact that we are grateful.  In other words....we derive benefit because we are grateful.


Today's gratitude is for something that my family finds rather silly.  But to me, it is awfully important.  First, confession time.  I started listening to Christmas music on November 2nd.  Yes, I said November 2nd, not December 2nd.  I started checking the music channels at midnight on Halloween to see if there was any Christmas music playing.  Alas, at midnight on October 31st, there was no Christmas music to be found.  But after two days of constant checking and by November 2nd, one music channel on our cable television was playing "seasonal" music, which constituted Christmas music, because as we all know, there is no such thing as Thanksgiving Music!  :)

At any rate, one cable channel was playing Christmas music on November 2nd.  Several XM/Sirius Satellite channels began playing Christmas music on November 17th and a couple more completed the round-up on December 4th.  I have all of these stations programed into the radio in my car and I routinely hit channel 933 on the TV, in lieu of watching a show, to listen to lovely Christmas music while I knit, rug hook, or whatever.

I have a very wonderful relationship with my car, since it is where I spend the majority of my time, shuffling children to and fro and waiting on various members of my family to do what they do.  Last night, while waiting for my son to finish his voice lessons, I had 30 minutes of interrupted listening time.  Confession #2, I didn't stitch, knit or crochet, I didn't work on Christmas presents.  I played solitaire on my ipad and listened to.....
 
 Nothing, I mean nothing, gets me into the spirit of the holiday season like hearing "Here comes, Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus...."  And for the benefits of being able to switch on Christmas music in the car or at home, just about any time I'd like, I am grateful!

Until next time,
Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment