Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Day 23

As usual today, I am having a hard time narrowing down my feelings of gratitude to just one thing.  I find this to be the case, almost daily.  I start off the morning thinking about what I have to be grateful for and by the time I sit down to do the post, my list has grown and I am having to choose one thing.  As my husband likes to say, it's a good problem to have. 

Granted, it's only Day 23 of 365, but I am curious to see if at some point, I'll be struggling to find something about which to write of my gratitude.  Hmmmm.....

Anyway, today as I was going through my mental list of people, things, pets or other which bring me particular joy, I noticed I was holding my ipad and perusing email.  Aha!  My ipad is my Day 23 grateful item.

My ipad was a gift, given to me by a long time customer from my grown-up job in the Natural Gas Industry.  He gave it to me last Christmas and let's just say, I was astounded.  Now, you  have to understand, I am not a super techy person.  Sure, I have a brand new, fancy-shmacy laptop, but that's only because my 2 year old desktop recently crashed.  Grumble, grumble.  My phone is 2 or 3 (maybe 4?) years old.  It's big and clunky.  But it works, well it mostly works.  The back cover falls off 10 times a day and it has a battery life of about 30 seconds, but every time I think about actually going to the phone store to replace it, I get the willies.  So phone and computer, that's about as far as I go with technical stuff.  I can barely get a DVD working without help from my children and my ipod stays in my bathroom on speakers, so that I can have music while I shower.  When it needs updating, um, that's why I had kids, right?

Anyway, at first, I was kind of wondering what I was going to do with an ipad.  That lasted all of about 2 minutes.  My youngest, immediately set it up, got my email connected and showed me how to get to my favorite blogs.  My son then "synced" all my music.  And thus, my mad love affair with this cold, high tech object began and my ipad has not been out of my sight for more than just a few minutes since last Christmas.

I use it to check email, both work and personal.

I use it to find patterns, and rather than wasting ink and paper, I save them on my ipad and follow them directly from the screen.
 

I use it to check on the kiddos grades, yes, even the almost grown-up kiddo who is in college.
 
We've decided we want to see a movie?  Let me check my hand-dandy ipad for movie times.
 
Not sure what to have for dinner?  I'll just look up a quick recipe.  If it turns out yummy, I'll save the recipe to my ipad for next time.
 
And most fun of all, I follow lots and lots of fun, cool and fabulous blogs, pulling them up on the good 'ole ipad.
 
There's so much more I use my ipad for.  I keep all of my Kindle books on it and read nightly using my ipad.  I keep our family's calendar on it and track where we need to be, when we need to be there.  I use "Notes" to write shopping lists and keep track of Christmas lists and spending, as well as juggling times and scores for our little soccer player.  And, everyone once in a while, I'll even play a game of solitaire or some other funky game the kids show me.  Much, much of this is done while I am listening to the music that is coming from my ipad.  I love the fact that I can keep such a wide variety of music in one little spot.  I've got several soundtracks, like The Hobbit (which is fabulous, let me just say) and Phantom of the Opera, country/western music, Christian music, Broadway music, a little bit of Rock-n-Roll, a little Opera, quite a bit of Classical and even a little pop music for good measure.  Let's just say, I keep quite the variety of music playing on my ipad!

Yes, I love my ipad.  I am grateful for it - beyond grateful.  I would have never purchased one for myself and yet I cannot remember what life was like without it!  Silly, isn't it?  Still, I'm grateful.

Until next time,
Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment